College Courses

The Education Fund provides support for General Education and prerequisite courses through our College Courses program for all eligible members. Take up to five courses per calendar year (maximum of two courses per semester/quarter).

Participants accepted into the program can receive the following:

  • Financial assistance — with tuition and required fees (including books or mandatory fees)
  • Career Guidance — Education Fund Career Counselors assist with education plans.
  • Academic Support — We partner with which offers live one-on-one tutoring for approved courses and is available on a limited basis to select participants. Speak to your Career Counselor for more information.
  • Online Preparation — We offer several online educational resources to help you navigate and prepare for the learning environment.

Education Providers

The Education Fund currently works with the following education providers to offer our College Courses program. (Program spaces are limited and availability varies by provider. Please register/login to MyEdFund to see available options.)

Southern California

  • Coastline Community College (General)
  • Moorpark College
  • Oxnard College
  • Ventura College
  • West Los Angeles College


Northern California

  • American River College
  • Coastline Community College (General)
  • Contra Costa College
  • Modesto Junior College


  • Clackamas Community College
  • Clatsop Community College
  • Oregon Coast Community College
  • Portland Community College



  • College of Southern Nevada



  • Arapahoe Community College
  • Community College of Aurora
  • Community College of Denver

Application Periods for 2024

Semester-Based Providers:

  • Fall Semester: June 3, 2024 – August 9, 2024


Quarter-Based Providers:

  • Fall Quarter: June 3, 2024 – September 6, 2024

Eligibility Criteria

You are eligible for College Courses support through the Education Fund, if you:

  • Work in a bargaining unit position for which an Employer has agreed to make contributions to the Fund.
  • Have completed your probationary period.
  • Are a regular benefited full-time or part-time employee. In addition, on call or per diem employees working, at minimum, two shifts per month over the most recent six-month period.
  • Applicants must meet the requirements and prerequisites for the class for which they are supported through the Education Fund.

Please Note: If you are an on-call or per diem applicant, you MUST submit documentation to verify that you have worked a minimum of two shifts per month for the last six months. Please be prepared with the required documents when applying.

How to Apply

Applications for all schools (semester or quarter system) are open for Fall terms as of June 3, 2024. If you meet the above Eligibility criteria for this program and are interested in applying, you must schedule an appointment with your Education Fund Career Counselor before you can apply. You can make an appointment via MyEdFund, our secure, online member portal.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Please click on a question to expand and see the answer.

How do I become eligible for the College Courses program?

Meet with an Education Fund Career Counselor to determine eligibility for the program and get access to the online application.

What is covered in the College Courses program?

The following are covered by the College Courses program:

  • Tuition
  • Required school fees. Examples include: health fees, registration fees, technology fees, Student Tuition Recovery Fund Fees, student union fees, and activity fees).
  • Required textbook costs up to $350 per course for general education (GE) and prerequisite courses.

What are the approved course types?

Pre-requisites and general education are the only approved course types for the College Courses program.

How many courses are covered per year?

Learners can take up to two courses per term, with a maximum of five courses per calendar year.

Will my books be covered?

Yes! Your books will be covered up to $350 per course.

Do I have to purchase my books ahead of time, or are they paid upfront by The Education Fund?

Your books are covered upfront when you are supported by one of our approved providers. You will receive instructions on how to collect your books if your application is accepted.

How do I get reimbursed if I paid my tuition and/or books?

If approved by a Career Counselor, Tuition Reimbursement via the College Courses Program is offered when learners pay upfront and are approved for support. Learners must submit required documents for reimbursement after their school’s add/drop deadline.

Do I need to apply for every semester or quarter?

Yes. You must reapply every semester or quarter, and submit all required documents for that term.

What happens if I drop a class?

You must notify your Career Counselor of any changes made to your registration. If you drop two courses consecutively, you may be sanctioned for up to six months.

What is a Sanction?

The Sanction Policy is intended to hold learners accountable for their outcomes and to encourage them to follow our guidelines when participating in Education Fund programs.

The sanction period lasts for six months. During this time, the learner has no access to Education Fund programs with the exception of Career Counseling and coaching support, and specific Preparation/Critical Skills classes. A learner is subject to sanctions for one or all of the following reasons:

  • Earns two consecutive W’s and/or Incompletes
  • Fails to complete a course/program with a C- or higher
  • Drops the course/program after the allowed drop date
  • Fails to earn full school credit
  • Fails to timely provide proof of completion,
  • Fails to provide required documentation (such as income verification and employment documentation) for Tuition Reimbursement
  • Fail to return electronic equipment, such as laptops, Chromebooks, or hotspots

Learners who are sanctioned will not be supported in any Education Fund program until the sanction is lifted. Learners have the opportunity to appeal the sanction via the Sanction Appeal Request Form with support from your Career Counselor.

How often must I check in with my Career Counselor?

You are required to check in with your Career Counselor at least once a month by phone, email, or text for The Education Fund to continue your support. You will discuss your progress during your check-ins.

How do I submit my final grades each term?

Your final grades must be uploaded to your MyEdFund Document section within 30 days of your course end date.

What happens if the class I want to attend is full?

Your school might place you on a waitlist. You are responsible to inform your Career Counselor if space opens in the class and the school allows you to attend.

Who should I speak to if I have questions about the program while going to school?

You can contact your Career Counselor at any time. For general College Courses questions, you can also contact an Education Fund staff member at