Mental Health Pathway
The Mental Health field is extremely broad, encompassing a wide variety of careers that focus on helping people meet their basic human needs including: social worker, counselor, health aid, and much more. Essentially, mental health careers focus on areas where people need help. The day in the life of someone in mental health could include: working with clients and other professionals, such as social workers, to develop a treatment plan and help clients complete paperwork to apply for assistance programs and researching services, such as food stamps and Medicaid, that are available to clients.
The Education Fund has partnered with Coastline College to offer the choice of four Associate Degree programs in Mental Health or a certificate program to eligible members:
- The Human Services Certificate of Accomplishment
- Human Services Associate in Arts
- Psychology Associate in Arts
- Sociology Associate in Arts
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Associate in Arts
Why Choose Mental Health?
Employment in the mental health field is projected to grow 17 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.*
- The Human Services Certificate of Accomplishment offers greater work opportunities as social-service technicians, case management aides, mental health technicians, social worker, counselors and other human service careers.
- The Associate in Arts degrees offer individuals the opportunity to study a specialized area in mental health that can translate into a variety of careers within the mental health field.
- Mental Health workers across healthcare settings including hospitals, family services, nursing and residential care facilities, community and vocational rehabilitating services.
* Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with sessions scheduled throughout the year:
- Summer – June – August 2021
- Fall A – August – October 2021
- Fall B – October – December 2021
If you’re interested, feel like you might be a good fit and are ready to get started, please schedule an appointment with a career counselor.
For questions, please ask a career counselor by using the Find Out More button below: