Medical Assistant Pathway
Through our partnership with Futuro Health and SEIU-UHW, eligible UHW members can participate in the program to become a Medical Assistant – one of the most in-demand job classifications in healthcare. This program is available at no cost to you through your eligibility for the Education Fund.
This program is designed to take you through all the steps you need to get ready, complete prerequisites, and participate in the MA program, wherever you are in your career. Options include English Readiness for Spanish speakers, “Jump Start” courses in anatomy/physiology and medical terminology, and the Medical Assistant program coursework itself. It is available to all eligible UHW members including EVS workers, CNAs and administrative/clerical workers interested in moving to clinical work. Get started today!
“Deciding to work in healthcare was the best decision I ever made because it’s exciting, fast paced, secure and it gives me great satisfaction to know that the work I’m doing really matters.” — Anna Vasquez, Medical Assistant, Kaiser-Gilroy
To be eligible for the Medical Assistant Pathway Program, a candidate must:
- Work in a bargaining unit position for which an Employer has agreed to make contributions to the Fund and
- Have completed your probationary period.
- Be a regular benefited full-time or part-time employee, OR be on-call or per diem employee working, at minimum, 2 shifts per month over the most recent 6 month period.
In addition, you must meet the following:
- Be a resident of the state of California.
- Obtain a high school diploma or GED credential by the Summer of 2020. Two official copies will be required.
- Complete required prerequisite courses (medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology) with a grade C or better. Provide transcripts for any completed prerequisite courses.
- No felony conviction on record; a clean drug screen; and up-to-date immunizations.
- Have access to reliable transportation.
Learn more about the Medical Assistant Pathway Program in the Frequently Asked Questions.