Certified Nursing Assistant Pathway
CNAs provide basic care and help patients with activities of daily living. They work as part of a healthcare team under the supervision of licensed practical or licensed vocational nurses and registered nurses. CNAs are often the principal caregivers in nursing and residential care facilities.
The Education Fund has partnered with educational providers to offer a 160 hour CNA program that prepares students for the CA State Exam. Education Fund-eligible members can take this full program at no cost.
Considering a career as a Certified Nursing Assistant?
- CNA jobs are projected to grow 8 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- The median annual wage for a CNA was $29,660 in May 2019. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $21,960, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $40,620.
- CNAs workers work in a variety of healthcare settings such as hospitals, nursing care facilities, skilled nursing facilities, home healthcare services, assisted living facilities.
* Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Program Locations & Dates:
Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and Encino
Provider: Los Angeles Skills Academy
- Classroom/Online – 60 hours of theory
- In-person clinical – 100-hour externship at Encino & Santa Fe Springs
Program Start Dates (Fast Track weekday):
- September 22, 2021 – October 21, 2021 (Long Beach/Santa Fe Springs Lab)
- September 9, 2021 – October 18, 2021 (Encino)
Program length: 22 days
Program Start Dates (Part-time Evenings):
- August 7, 2021 – October 17, 2021 (Encino)
Program length: 10 weeks
Program Start Dates (Part-time Weekends):
- September 9, 2021- November 12, 2021 (Long Beach/Santa Fe Springs Lab)
- August 18, 2021 – November 24, 2021 (Encino)
Program length: 12 weekends
Provider: Best American Healthcare University
- Online Instruction – 60 hours (self-paced during this timeframe)
- Online clinical – 100 hours video demonstrations
- 32 hours lab: In-person lab for students to demonstrate skills conducted at Riverside location.
Program Start Dates: September 1 – 30, 2021
Program Length: 4 weeks
Oakland and Los Angeles
Provider: H&R Healthcare School
- Online Instruction (e-learning) – 60 hours of theory
- In-person clinical – 100 hour externship at Oakland and Los Angeles locations.
Program Start Dates (Evenings): September 27 – December 3, 2021
Program Start Dates (Weekends): September 26 – December 10, 2021
Program Length: 10 weeks